Thursday, October 15, 2009

Email forward fallacies and olive oil for ulcers


I don't send forwards. Never have, never will. I got a forward today about fruit, so I opened it as it was from my aunt who knows I'm a dietitian. I was nearly in tears I was laughing so hard. Check it out:


EATING FRUIT...

It's long but very informative
We all think eating fruits means just buying fruits, cutting it and just popping it into our mouths. It's not as easy as you think. It's important to know how and when to eat.
What is the correct way of eating fruits?
IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUITS AFTER YOUR MEALS! * FRUITS SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.
FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD. Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so.
In the meantime the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and
digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil....

So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your meals! You have heard people complaining - every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats up, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet etc - actually all this will not arise if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. The fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas and hence you will bloat!

Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes all these will NOT happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach.

There is no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruits become alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter (is this even grammatically correct??).  If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the Secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.

When you need to drink fruit juice - drink only fresh fruit juice, NOT from the cans. Don't even drink juice that has been heated up.

 Don't eat cooked fruits because you don't get the nutrients at all. You only get to taste. Cooking destroys all the vitamins.

But eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it.

 You can go on a 3-day fruit fast to cleanse your body. Just eat fruits and drink fruit juice throughout the 3 days and you will be surprised when your friends tell you how radiant you look!

Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer! Can u believe this?? For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks HEART ATTACK PROCEDURE: (THIS IS NOT A JOKE!) Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line. You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack. Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms. Sixty percent of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up. Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive...was this forward about cancer and fruit or heart attacks? I’m now confused…..

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this mail sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life.

Read this....It could save your life!!



*EYE ROLL* It SCARES me that there's this kinda crud floating around! Much less, people are reading and believing it! Research health claims that you hear and ask your medical provider before falling for any fallacies out there!


On a completely unrelated note....



While I like to think I teach patients things, they also teach me things, too! Like this week, for example, a patient asked, “Is it true that olive oil helps prevent stomach ulcers?” After swallowing my pride just a bit, I responded with an, “I’m not sure, but I’ll get back to you!”


Ends up, olive oil DOES help to prevent stomach ulcers according to WedMD.


A Spanish study from 2007 suggested virgin olive oil may help prevent and treat H. pylori infections, a leading cause of gastritis and peptic ulcers. Lab testing revealed that the antioxidant compounds found in virgin olive oil are effective against several strains of H. pylori. Other natural products such as red wine, green tea, and cranberry juice are rich in a class of antioxidants known as phenolic compounds, which can inhibit the growth of H. pylori [1].


Phenolic compounds are found to have strong antibacterial properties. Lab results show olive oil’s phenolic compounds are effective against 8 strains of H. pylori, including 3 that are resistant to some antibiotic treatments [1]. Go virgin olive oil!


[1]. Warner, Jennifer. Olive Oil May Prevent Ulcers. WebMD. February 13, 2007.

3 comments:

  1. i learned the other day in my nutrition class that cheese is good for your teeth, prevents dental caries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking for a great tasting, natural and gourmet wellness bar? 7g protein, 7g fiber and only 150 calories....you might like to try the kardea nutrition bars...limited supply of free samples from customerservice@kardeanutrition.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had clients tell me things that I did not know, and I give the same response. Many times, similar to you, I find that they were right!

    The e-mail that you posted was intersting. I completely agreed with everything until I read the idea that drinking cold water after eating dinner causes cancer. What? That's crazy.

    I think there is a lot of truth to the fruit theory. I know fruit does not agree with me, at all. Lately I've been eating fruit on an empty stomach (to test this theory, I'd heard about it) and I've noticed it's much easier to tolerate! IT makes sense.

    ReplyDelete