Monday, September 28, 2009

2 new recipes, and some low oxygen?

I donated blood on Thursday afternoon. I was instructed not to perform strenuous lifting or cardiovascular activity for 48 hours. So, yesterday (Sunday), I went for a run. Well, it was torture to say the least. I had a 4-mile run planned and had to stop home half way through for water. I honestly didn't know if I would finish the loop that second time...I really wanted to give up. For me, a 4-mile run is a great workout, but it's nothing to send me to such a state of struggle and discomfort. I called my nurse friend, Kristen, to confirm the possibility of low hemoglobin and/or hematocrit. She concurred that this is a feasible cause of my extreme fatigue and shortness of breath. What positive came from giving blood? I possibly helped save a life, and I found out my blood type -- A+. And, as expected, my cholesterol is just fine : ) Anyways, I'm holding off another day for a workout, and increasing my iron intake with some leafy greens and lamb last night at dinner.



Tonight, however, I am going to town in the kitchen. On the menu is fall roasted vegetables: red potatoes, carrots, and yellow squash. Look at those colors...aren't they gorgeous fall colors?!

We're also trying a TWO new recipes: Potato Soup and Crunchy Ranch Chicken. I wanted leftovers for the week, and I'm going to get them! Soup, especially, travels so well for lunches...I always look forward to reheated soup, especially a comfort soup like potato! Yum!

Potato Soup


1 bag frozen has browns
32 oz. 98% fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 can 98% fat-free cream of celery soup
1 can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. fat-free sour cream
2 tsp. black pepper



Mix together and warm on the stove over medium heat. Stir occassionally and add water if the consistency becomes too thick (mine was just fine...just heated and served).


Yield: 10 cups

Nutrition information per serving (1 cup): 120 calories, 1 gram of fat, 2.5 grams of fiber







Crunchy Ranch Chicken*
Serves: 4


1 cup Corn Flakes, crumbled (I used bran flakes for more fiber)
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (powder)
4 chicken breasts
Cooking spray or egg substitute



Preheat over to 350. 


Mix crumbled Corn Flakes, Parmesan cheese, and ranch dressing together in a low bowl or plate. Spray chicken with cooking spray or coat in egg substitute. Roll in mixture and place on a cooking sheet lined with tin foil, lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 30-35 minutes.



*This recipe turned out too salty for me - I wasn't a huge fan. I think I'll make it again, but without the ranch dressing...and it'll save a lot of sodium, too! Husband, however, really liked the Crunchy Ranch Chicken. To each their own, I guess!


Tonight I ALSO made diet soda cupcakes. If you've never heard of this low-calorie, low-fat delight...keep reading! Take any cake mix and any can of diet soda - mix together. Cook according to directions on the box (varies based on the variety of cake mix). My selection: Chocolate Fudge cake mix with Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. For a cupcake "frosting" I mixed Cool Whip Free with a JELL-O Sugar-Free Black Cherry packet. The recipe made 15 cupcakes and came out to: 135 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 27 grams of carbohydrate, and 1 gram of fiber.




Happy 21st birthday to my awesome sister-in-law, Michelle! Too bad she's stuck with midterms this week - ugh! 


I've officially decided to go diabetic for 30 days, starting October 1st -- Thursday! I'll post my daily intake with carbohydrate counting. Hopefully I will find it a useful, humbling experience and others will enjoy learning more about diabetic carb-counting and meal patterns!



Have a wonderful week, all! Thanks for reading!


P.S. Any comments on the new formatting? I have been taking pictures with my phone which can't be enlarged, so I will have to convert to make digicam on a full-time basis!

4 comments:

  1. take it easy girl, love the chicken neat idea with the cornflakes Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which template did you use?? Was it a blogspot template?? I want this one so I can have such a wide text space! I think it looks great.

    The cupcakes look fantastic. I LOVE using the diet sodas for cakes. Honestly, I think they taste better than the actual recipe. They are alsways so much more moist that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for switching to black text so I can read you in my Google Reader!

    Also, I've made those diet cupcakes a million times, but never thought to add jello to the cool whip. GREAT tip! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great new template!

    That's a lot of cooking you did! I love the roasted fall veggies - such pretty colors!

    Looking forward to learn more about a diabetic diet.

    ReplyDelete