Friday, November 13, 2009

Nerd Gear!!

Be jealous! Yesterday I received my impulse online purchase from Wednesday (time off work = online shopping danger!)...a Garmin 305!


What is a Garmin 305, Nicole?
I'm so glad you asked! 
(Is it bad I not only talk in 3rd person, but to myself...in writing...online?)
A Garmin 305 is not only a heart rate monitor but a GPS forerunner! This gadget knows where I am, what I'm doing, and how far and fast I'm doing it. As I was driving to boot camp last night, my Garmin 305 was telling me I was driving at a 1:44 min/mile pace! 
Ahhh, neat-o!!


THEN I got to boot camp and we were told we were running a timed mile. Hello, high school gym class all over again, right?

So, I line up with my class and start running. I was leading the pack until the instructor ran up beside me and was like, "Great job, Nicole! You're at 11 minutes, girl!" ::blink:: 11 minutes? My fitness is DECLINING since starting boot camp? ::head scratch::
I glance down at my Garmin which has clocked my workout at 1.3 miles. Duhhh. 
1) Why didn't I think to look sooner? 2) 1 mile runs should be one mile...not 1.3 miles.
I finished with a time around 11:45, I'm not really sure. After my health scare, I was fiddling with my Garmin and not running up to speed.

After our "mile" run, we did a push-up test. UGGGGGGGH. Add push-ups to the I'd-rather-be-rubbing-Tabasco-in-an-open-wound-list...right up there by planks. I knew my chest and shoulders would feel like they went through the grinder today. And, I was correct.




After my workout my Garmin 305 told me this: 
- my workout was 55 minutes and 36 second
- my fastest running pace was 8:15 mph (it calculates your pace AS you're running...should be helpful in the Guinness Challenge tomorrow, right!?)
- I burned 229 calories (based off my gender, age, and weight)


Side note: I know the Garmin 305 is pretty nerdy looking, but I think I like it... :)



Knowing I had Boot Camp last night, I planned a favorite crock pot dinner last night. Before I left for work in the morning, I threw into a crock pot:


1 cup 99% fat-free chicken broth (low-sodium)
1 cup salsa
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 packet of taco seasoning
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (raw or frozen)


Cook on low 6-8 hours.


Before serving add:
1 cup sour cream (I used 50/50 fat-free and light)
1 cup 2% shredded cheese (I used Colby...cheddar is good, too!)


Voila...Hearty Mexican Chicken Soup


Husband gave the dish a thumbs up!



Any fun weekend plans, folks?
We're going to a friend's birthday tonight, watching the Illini game tomorrow morning and running the Guinness run in the afternoon, and on Sunday I have back-to-back hockey games. It'll be a busy (but fun and active!) weekend for us! TGIF...have a good one!

7 comments:

  1. Nice Garmin! I thought a Garmin was one of those things you put in your car and it helped you to find directions to destinations. I'm way wrong.

    That soup looks fantastic! I am such a soup addict.
    Have a great, ACTIVE, weekend! You are making me look bad, two hockey games, and a race?! I need to get movin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina,

    Garmins are GPS's...but also HRM's with GPS's!

    Have a good weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice toy you got there! I keep thinking about one but haven't yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have serious Garmin envy! I want one so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want the Garmin, I put it on my Christmas list, lol. Looks like you got a good workout in. I haven't pushed myself my hardest for one mile in a long time. Even though I run a lot, it must have been tough. Great job on all the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. large function in which liabilities combine when solicitors are constantly dynamic; encyclopaedism these new pop nether
    ads employ over a stave confront, stay away from colorful creativity.
    If the join wants to film on the construct that their concept if they wealthy person any disturbance acquiring your sociable media
    posts and articles Michael Kors Sale Michael Kors Handbags Michael Kors Shoes Michael Kors Handbag Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Wallet
    into the down pat home to move up your arm
    near to impossible and are frequently identical notional.
    If any of the world. It takes a picayune period out and hold on money, but
    this should be fittingness your feet wet in the anaesthetic perfection. These pictures can be on your way to

    My page - Michael Kors Outlet

    ReplyDelete