Sunday, November 22, 2009

New reads & recipes...and a whole lot of thanks!

I've found some great new blogs to read, enjoy, and learn from this weekend. I haven't "gotten out there" in the blog world due to limited time at the computer. Well, more like a lack of down time. So, check out some new blogs per my recommendation, why don't ya!?


Andrea and Erin of Care to Eat  
Corinne of Green Grapes Blog 
Michelle of Lucky Taste Buds
Meredith of Pursuing Balance 
Tay of Taydor Tot

 

And on the topic of reading...Hedge Fund Wives by Tatiana Boncompagni is HILARIOUS! I'm only a few chapters in and am thoroughly enjoying it! Thank you, KG for the rec! Glad I asked for rec's!! : )



I went to Akins Health Foods Store after my FIRST hockey game today. Other than Zevia's price increase and the discontinued pumpkin apricot butter I'm obsessed with in my oats, it was a successful venture. As always. Check out the loot:
Going from left to right: organic quinoa, organic low-sodium chicken broth, organic almond granola, Terra Chips x 2, Tasty Thai organic pad thai dinner kit, Fiber Gourmet mac'n cheese, raw honey, and nutritional yeast flakes.

 
 For my oatmeal which will no longer be laden with pumpkin butter (*tear*), I purchased reduced-fat, organic coconut. I think vanilla soy milk + coconut flakes could be potentially mouth-watering additions to old-fashioned oats, eh?


And most importantly, I tried a new dish that is OUT OF THIS WORLD. I don't say that very often, so believe it. This salad dressing is by far, hands down, shout-it-from-the-roof-tops phenom (and a recipe of Gina's). Unless maybe you detest goat cheese, and then I question the reliability of your palate. Kidding...kinda. But really, if you decide to try something new in the future, consider this Honey Goat Cheese Dressing!!


Salad: mixed greens, diced apples, Craisins, and pecans topped with Honey Goat Cheese Dressing! Deliciousohhh! Husband seconds that claim, too!


Honey Goat Cheese Dressing

4 ounces fresh goat cheese
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tbsp water
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste


Directions:

Blend together, mixing until combined and creamy in texture.
46 calories per tablespoon


We also had sirloin steaks with bleu cheese topping. Mmmm! I've had red meat twice this month, that's a near record for me. Typically, not a huge red meat fan. But bleu cheese steaks...hook a sistah up! I do believe this makes me a FLEXITARIAN!

 
bleu cheese smothered sirloin with buttermilk mashed potatoes 


Last night husband and I went out to dinner to a new Thai restaurant. Here's what we ordered...



Tom Kah soup with tofu...SOO  GOOD!!



Husband got pineapple fried rice with seafood (which was okay, but it was canned pineapple...bummer!)



Chicken and Vegetable Curry for me...mmm!


I cannot believe tomorrow is our 6 month wedding anniversary! How beautiful was our Chicago wedding? Ahhh! Perfect, amazing day! 






It's been a wonderful 6 months filled with an abundance of blessings...a new home, a WONDERFUL job, the cutest little puppy, and most importantly...our health and love for one another.

So tell me...

What are YOU thankful for this Thanksgiving?
What is your FAVORITE Thanksgiving dish?
What do you use nutritional yeast on/in?





11 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the shout out!

    Great choices at the store...I love terra chips and quinoa, and use nutritional yeast as a topping all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to hug you right now for the shoutout!! thanks girl!!!

    gah all those eats look good..that SALAD!! and that wedding made me happy .. weddings are soo fun

    my fav thanksgiving dish is DEF mac and cheese! (homemade)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww thanks for recommending me! Thai food is sooooo good! Happy 6 month anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling thankful for friends that serve as family while my husband is deployed.
    My favorite dish would be sweet potato casserole made with toasted pecans and orange zest!
    And I never use nutritional yeast. :o)
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, again, I love your wedding pictures! They are some of the best I've seen, and I've seen a lot!

    I have never even heard of an Adkins Health Food Store. It sounds like a lace I would advise against, but your purchases are awesome. Clearly it's a health food store and not all focused on the "Adkins" diet.

    Favorite Thanksgiving dish: Cranberry sauce, stuffinf, pecan pie (ok, there were a few!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Akins, not Atkins : ) It's local here in Oklahoma I think, just a small little health foods store!

    Thanks for all the responses! The T-day dishes sound WONDERFUL!!!!!! Mmm! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dressing looks yum and I love goat cheese so even better! Nice food finds. For Thanksgiving I am thankful for my wonderful husband and my family and my fave dish is anything with out meat! To my knowledge there is not nutritional yeast around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thankful for my friends and family. My fave Turkey Day dish is probably the turkey! lol and I have no clue what to use nutritional yeast in, but I'm always compelled to buy some when I see at the store. Can't be that hard to use, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS I have the same coconut flakes - they are awesome! I've made some delish Clean Chocolate Chip cookies with them and granola bars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are liking the book! I can't believe how fast 6 months have gone... you did look amazing at the wedding! I guess I need to start writing a blog so you can give me a shout out next. Have a great Thanksgiving - I have to get you my mom's spiced peaches recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, that's my kind of salad!! I'll have to try that dressing, yummy
    wow, beautiful wedding pictures, happy anniversary!
    I am so thankful for my family and I have to say I am a big fan of salty stuffing and anything pumpkin with a lot of spice :)

    ReplyDelete