Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Calorie Counter

We were out running errands today and in the midst of scanning celeb gossip magazines at Walgreens, this book caught my eye. It's written by Annette B. Natow, PhD and Jo-Ann Heslin, MA, RD, entitled "The Calorie Counter".

The book lists foods by category (i.e. cereal, bread) and then by brand name, alphabetically. While the book only lists product name, portion size, and calories, it's a helpful reference to have in your collection. It'd be perfect if it listed grams of carbohydrates for my diabetic patients, but it's still a handy resource to have for weight management patients and consumers. I recommend checking it out and looking up some of your favorite brands to compare!

On a completely different note, I made THE BEST smoothie this morning.
I am constantly freezing fresh fruit to use in smoothies. This particular smoothie included frozen blackberries, strawberries, banana, mango, pineapple, fresh blueberries, Crystal Light fruit punch, and skim milk. I also added strawberry flavored cod liver oil from Nordic Naturals.

Husband and sister-in-law, Michelle, gave it a huge thumbs up. It went well with our Fiber One waffles - yumm!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I have seen many calorie-counter books, but this one is new to me! I'll have to take a look, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar book, but it does show the carbs - that's how I control my insulin intake.

    But I mostly use www.calorieking.com since I weigh all my food too.

    Strawberry flavored cod liver oil?? You are brave! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, my thesis was a cross-sectional online survey. It used a model, called the Theory of Planned Behavior, to determine the predictors of RDs teaching fresh vegetable food safety! Basically, we used the model to determine which attitudes, and beliefs of RDs predict whether they include any type of fresh vegetable food safety into their patient/client consulting sessions. It sounds strange, bt I enjoyed the project a lot, and learned a lot as well. I found at that when RDs have a low perception of knoweldge regarding fresh vegetable food safety, or if they aren't confident in their knowledge, they are less liekly to teach it. Also if they think it will take time away from teaching other things, they won't teach it. This information will hopefully be used in curriculum for undergraduate RD students and for food safety CEUs. I am going to attempt to have it published in the ADA journal, so I'll let you know what happens!
    What was yours about?

    ReplyDelete